Wednesday, May 22, 2013

A question was asked on NFL.com

The first part of the question was: Which QB is closer to a Super Bowl? Tom Brady or Peyton Manning? Then the second part is: Which QB Legacy would be better helped by another Super Bowl win? Tom Brady or Peyton Manning?

For the first question I side more with Darren Sharper over Heath Evans in that neither of these QB are closer to a Super Bowl win. But if I had to choose I would also agree with Darren Sharper in that it is Peyton Manning. I think we forget that neither of these guys were in the Super Bowl.last year. Super Bowls are won with defense just as much as offense and some people even argue that.. Ohh.. Defense Wins Championships!

I guess where I disagree the most is the second part of this questions. Who would be helped more with a Super Bowl?

I say Peyton Manning. Tom Brady already has 3 Super Bowl wins in 5 Super Bowls. His legacy is set. He is already in the conversation for GOAT. However, if Peyton Manning wins his 2nd guess what? He will be the only starting QB to win a Super Bowl with two separate teams. That boosts a legacy. In fact I would go as far as to say that if Peyton Manning doesn't win another Super Bowl he will not be in the conversations for GOAT as much as we thought 5 years ago.

Don't misinterpret my statements to say that I think Peyton Manning is better than Tom Brady. I don't want to go down that road. Peyton is 9-11 playoff record and Tommy Boy is 17-7. Tom has more SB wins. He has been to more. They were on different teams. Etc. I don't want that argument. I am just saying that I feel that it is asinine to think that Peyton Manning won't be helped more than Tom Brady with another Super Bowl win.

But now he NEEDS that win to keep him in the convo with the other greats like Tom Brady. Why? Because they picked up Wes Welker from the Patriots in the offseason and on top of that they already had Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker. They already have Joel Dressen and Jacob Tamme. They have Willis McGahee and Montee Ball. They have that Mile High defense with Von Miller. With that kind of support you should be able to win. It All!

So if he doesn't win it might set him back. So a win would cement his legacy more.



No comments:

Post a Comment